Sunday, March 23, 2014

#nomakeupselfie

So this past week my news feed on Facebook has been laced with no make up selfies, or alternatively made up men selfies, or even men who've stripped to nothing and hid their bits, in aid of  Cancer Research and Awareness. And low and behold amongst all this chaos of course we have the people who completely object to this 'insane' project and can't understand the idea of the 'latest craze'. Well people this is my response to all that negativity out there. I will admit when I first saw these no make up selfies I was a bit apprehensive about the whole thing, I didn't really understand the concept of it. But once it was explained to me and I saw how much good it was doing all over the world I quickly hopped on board. Yet, even after the phenomenal amount of money this project has raised and the overwhelming support from all walks of life there are STILL people who want to give out about it, posting status' or commenting on pictures. Normally I'm one to say each to their own, and everyone has a right to their own opinion, which they do, but I just don't think they need to be so vocal about this particular one, even when there's so much evidence that its working. And I'm sorry, I don't normally think opinions are wrong but on this one they are wrong. It's like they never even took the time out to see what it's all about and as a woman and a human being it actually insults me that they are so negative about something so positive.

Let's take a few steps back shall, to how this 'craze' started? It all began with a woman, who had suffered from Cancer herself, taking a selfie, completely bare, make up and wig free, to promote natural beauty and being proud of what you've got. Obviously somebody in her list of friends saw this and decided to do the same, regardless of whether they had been through the whole ordeal or not, and also donated money too! This created a spiral effect on various social networking sites such as Facebook and Twitter. It really just shows the power of social media, and what it can do! I mean through this project alone has raised around £2m in the UK and €500,000 in Ireland, and who says it's a waste of time? Okay, I agree that it won't cure cancer, how could it? But it definitely provides funds with which they can continue to research a cure. Baby Steps eh? Nothing happens overnight. 

So no, it's not just girls 'fishing for likes' or 'wanting attention', these are people who care about this cause, who have either been affected by this horrific disease or know somebody who has. These are people who want to make a difference in any way they can. While they might not be in a position to make regular donations, or large sums, they do what they can, we all know that little saying; Every little bit helps. And by God is that the truth. Now what I suggest is people stop complaining, take their heads out of their behinds, accept that this works and donate themselves because at the end of the day, while this might die out in a week or two or even a month, the money it had raised is more than anyone person could by themselves. It's been a smart way to raise money, everybody uses social networking sites, or most do anyway, and when they see it, it creates awareness. (it does it's job). I know if I hadn't seen it on my news feed I would have never thought to donate money, just for the simple fact that I'm preoccupied with general day to day things. Doesn't mean I'm not a charitable person, I just don't think about it 24/7. So there we have it. This project worked. All of you who are against it are wrong. It does create awareness. You need to stop being negative about something that's positive, because that's just silly. It's a good cause. Keep your opinions to yourself. Stop slating those who participate and move on. It doesn't affect your life, no need to knock it back. If you care that much donate money the old fashioned way. Or just create a fundraiser yourself. I just have no patience for hypocrisy in this world. That is all. Until next time my darlings! 

P.S. REMEMBER TO CHECK YOURSELVES REGULARLY

P.P.S. Here's something to make you smile



 

No comments:

Post a Comment